Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure:
A Life Skill Class on the UN’s SDG 9
Pune, Maharashtra | 31st July, 2023
On 31st July, 2023, a life skill class themed on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, with the topic Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure was conducted for the students of Grade IV.
In 2015, the United Nations set a number of ambitious goals to be achieved in the next 15 years to make our world a better place for everyone: end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. The UN Sustainable Development Goals, a collection of 17 global goals set by the UN’s member countries, are a roadmap on how to transform our planet where everyone can live in peace, prosperity, and dignity.The goal that was selected for the month of July was “Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure.” Goal 9 seeks to build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation.
About Goal 9Industry is the production of goods or related services within an economy. Innovation is a new idea, device or method. Infrastructure refers to the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city or area, including the services and facilities necessary for its economy to function.
The targets for this goal is to: develop sustainable, resilient and inclusive infrastructures; facilitate sustainable infrastructure development for developing countries; support domestic technology development and industrial diversification; universal access to information and communications technology; and enhance research and upgrade industrial technologies
Realising the Goal
1. Make donations, it does not matter if it is a small amount, to research institutes. Enhancing scientific research will contribute to the upgrade of the technological capabilities of industrial sectors.
2. Support a charity that invests in achieving goal 9.
3. Enhancing scientific research will contribute to the upgrade of the technological capabilities of industrial sectors.
1. Every Friday, students are taught about a Sustainable Goal and the theme for the month. On 7th July, 2023, we informed students about Goal 9 via a PPT and a few videos, we informed them about Industry Innovation and Infrastructure and why it is important in our life.
2. On 14th July, 2023, we asked the students to decorate their classrooms in innovative ways. This helped students to implement their ideas, and they enjoyed it a lot. Further, we asked students to prepare various decorative items and paste it on the soft board.
3. On 21st July, 2023. we asked students to bring a chart along with small pieces of papers, and explained to them the concept of waste and importance of waste segregation. As part of the activitiy, they also prepared badges for ‘Wet Waste and Dry Waste’ to stick on the waste bins at home.
Students learned the following:
1. To create better ways of life without destroying the environment and resources for the future.
2. Overcoming the many interlinked economic, social and environmental challenges in the 21st century.
3. It is also important to remember that not only the government and companies can help to achieve SDG 9.
4. A big or small help can make a difference. Get yourself involved!!!
Understanding Life on Land:
Learning about SDG 15
Pune, Maharashtra | 20th September, 2023
In the month of September 2023, another life skill class based on the United Nation’s SDGs was conducted for the students of Grade IV with the topic “Life on Land”.
About Goal 15
The aim of the SDG is to Global Goals. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests.
A detailed explanation of the UN’s SDG Goal: Life on Land was given by the teachers. Students then discussed how one can make the earth a beautiful place to live for everyone. They all went on to draw pictures of life on land and write slogans about saving our earth. Students even engaged in riddles on guessing fruits’ names.
Students learned the following:
1. The importance of protecting and saving our environment, its ecosystem: all the flora and fauna.
2. To enhanced ways of living that do not cause harm to the environment.
3. To save our non-renewable resources for the future and use renewable energy sources such as solar power, water and wind.